City of Fort Lauderdale - Building Services - Business Tax
City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Venice of America

Business Tax (formerly Occupational License)

Customer Service and Office Hours

The Business Tax Office is located at:

City Hall - Utility Billing Office
100 N Andrews Ave, 1st Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday

Online Payments

You can now use our secure online payment system to pay any fees associated with your Business Tax.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is a Business Tax?

The Business Tax is a tax for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business, profession or occupation within the city limits. In order to operate a business based in the City of Fort Lauderdale, you will need to pay the Business Tax. Whether your business is operated from a commercial location or is home-based, the Business Tax is required pursuant to both local and state laws. The business tax receipt is valid from October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Prior to expiration, the City will mail you a courtesy reminder notice to remit your payment for the next year. Once your payment is received, your tax receipt will be mailed to you. When you receive your tax receipt it must be posted in a conspicuous place, visible to public inspection.

2. Who needs to pay a Business Tax?

Prior to engaging in a new business whether it is located out of a commercial location or out of your home, please contact the Business Tax Office for complete information.

3. Where can I obtain Business Tax forms?

You can download the following forms, or you can visit our offices at 700 NW 19th Avenue.

Street Vendor Forms

4. What documents are required when submitting my Business Tax application?

You will need to complete an Business Tax Application PDF file. If you hold a state or county license of any kind, we will need to have a copy of that license as well. Additionally, zoning approval may be required before the business tax receipt is issued.

5. If I have a home-based business, do I need to pay the Business Tax?

Yes. The City issues restricted business tax receipts out of the home. If you are operating a business in your home you will be required to complete an Business Tax Application PDF file and the Home-Based Business Affidavit PDF file. If your business meets the City requirements, a business tax receipt will be issued.

6. Do I need a permit for street vending?

Yes. It is unlawful to sell, or offer for sale, any food, beverage, service or merchandise on any street, alley, sidewalk, or public park within the City of Fort Lauderdale from any wagon, truck, auto, pushcart, vehicle or by any other means upon the streets, sidewalks, or alleys of the City until the proper permit has been issued by the Business Tax Office.

7. Do I need to pay a City Business Tax if I pay a Broward County Local Business Tax?

Yes. If your business is located within the City limits, you will need to pay a City of Fort Lauderdale Business Tax prior to obtaining a Broward County local business tax receipt.

8. How can I pay the fees for my Business Tax?

You can pay your fees online or you can mail or bring in your payment.

9. What are the fees for my Business Tax?

A table of of Business Tax fees is available in the City's Municipal Code site.

10. If I change my business address or sell my business, what do I need to do?

You need to resubmit an updated Business Tax Application PDF file if any of the following events occur:

  • You change your business address.
  • The business owner's address changes.
  • The name of the business is changed.
  • The owner of the business is changed.
  • The business is sold.

If you have questions, please e-mail or call 954-828-5195.

11. Do you have a list of new businesses in the City of Fort Lauderdale?

Yes, you can download the following lists to your computer.

12. How do I register a complaint about a company?

To complain about a company or to receive information about a company before doing business with that company, there are several places you can contact:

  • Broward County Consumer Affairs Division, 115 S Andrews Ave - 954-765-5355
  • Broward County Occupational License - 954-765-4697
  • Division of Alcohol Beverages and Tobacco - 954-917-1330
  • Division of Hotels & Restaurants - 850-487-1395
  • Broward County Contractor's Board, 955 S Federal Highway - 954-765-5108
  • Better Business Bureau - 561-842-1918
  • Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services - 800-435-7352
  • Florida Department of Insurance - 800-435-7352
  • Florida Comptroller's Office - 800-298-0485
  • Lemon Law Program - 800-321-5366
  • Department of Highway Safety Motor Vehicles - 850-488-2276
  • Florida Public Service Commission (utilities) - 800-342-3553