“A1A In Action” is a project dedicated to enhancing a piece of Fort Lauderdale’s future by transforming a portion of this iconic roadway into a vibrant, resilient, multimodal destination.
Project Overview & Schedule
This work is part of an $11.8 million project that includes:
- Constructing a wide paver brick beachfront promenade on the east side of A1A;
- Installing a decorative sea wall with accent lighting;
- Constructing a raised median in front of Birch State Park; constructing median islands and left turn lanes in the residential section;
- Installing a new underground drainage system; relocating underground utilities;
- Restoring beach showers; installing decorative, turtle-friendly pedestrian lighting on both sides of A1A;
- Installing signalized pedestrian crosswalks at Birch State Park, N.E. 15th Court and N.E. 17th Street;
- Installing new asphalt pavement on all lanes and parking spaces; and
- Installing new pavement markings and highway signs.
When complete, there will be a wide sidewalk on both sides of A1A, one northbound and one southbound travel lane, one northbound and one southbound bike lane, a northbound left turn lane in the residential section, 232 on-street parking spaces, and 17 beach access points.
Construction began on July 28 and is expected to be completed by late 2015.
Traffic Information (as of 3/20/2015)
- Northbound A1A is reduced to one lane approaching N.E. 9th Street due to construction. There are two left turn lanes and one through lane just past N.E. 9th Street as you approach the Sunrise Boulevard intersection.
- A1A is limited to one northbound lane and one southbound lane between Sunrise Boulevard and N.E. 18th Street.
- The outside lane of A1A is closed in both directions and traffic is moving on the center two lanes between Sunrise Boulevard and N.E. 14th Court.
- Both lanes of traffic are moving on the west side of A1A between N.E. 14th Court and N.E. 16th Street.
- Both lanes of traffic are moving on the east side of A1A between N.E. 16th Street and N.E. 18th Street.
- The speed limit through the construction zone is reduced to 25 miles per hour.
Street and Driveway Closures
- The contractor continues to provide access to all driveways and side streets through the corridor.
- During specific construction activities (i.e., digging trenches for drainage installation, underground utility relocation, pouring concrete for curbs, installing paver bricks, delivery of fill material, grating/leveling fill material, paving and putting down pavement markings, etc.) the contractor utilizes a flag crew to control and direct traffic into/out of the side streets.
- When these construction activities impact specific driveways on A1A, project staff has made, and will continue to make, personal contact with the individual property owners/tenants prior to the work so the resident can plan their coming/going accordingly.
- Signs are used to alert residents of construction affecting specific side streets.
- Currently, there are two access points for entrance/exit to A1A from the side streets between N.E. 16th Street and N.E. 18th Street These access points are located at N.E. 16th Court and N.E. 17th Court. At these locations residents pull off A1A and use the newly constructed road bed on the west side of A1A as a frontage road to reach their side street. This access pattern is expected to be in place until mid- to late-April.
A1A Reconstruction TeamFDOT, Russell Engineering, Inc, Calvin, Giordano & Associates, Inc., and City of Fort Lauderdale. For More Information
If you know someone that would like to receive project email updates, please send their address to Barbara.Kelleher@dot.state.fl.us with a subject line of "A1A Updates," and remind them to put this address on their "safe sender" list. Also, people can follow FDOT on Twitter @MyFDOT_SEFL.
Should you have questions about the project, please feel free to contact FDOT’s Public Information Office by phone at 954-777-4090 or email at FDOT_D4PIO@dot.state.fl.us. Follow us on Twitter @ MyFDOT_SEFL.
The A1A Reconstruction Team thanks our project neighbors for their patience and cooperation during this work. Should you have any questions or concerns about this work, please feel free to contact FDOT’s Public Information Office at 954-777-4090.
Public Information Director
FDOT District Four