Commission agendas are the "programs" of items scheduled to be presented before the City Commission. Commission meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month, with the exception of the Summer Recess. When a holiday is observed on Monday or Tuesday during a meeting week, the Commission meeting is usually held on Wednesday. The Commission meeting day involves two separate meetings: the Conference Meeting and the Regular Meeting. Each meeting is separate, and each has its own agenda. The agendas, associated backup materials, and minutes are available online.
Commission agendas are available for Public Comment through the eComment module. The link to eComment opens on the City's website the Thursday evening before each conference and regular meeting and the link is closed 48 hours prior to the meetings. The eComment link can be found on the City's webpage at City Commission Meeting Agendas, Minutes and Video.
- NOTE: Archived commission meeting agendas and minutes from 2003 to 2012 are posted separately. For information about meetings before 2003, please contact this office.
The Conference Agenda
The Conference Agenda applies to the 1:30 p.m. Conference Meeting, normally held in the 8th floor Conference Room of City Hall. The Conference Agenda includes items that need to come before the Commission for informational purposes or for discussion. This meeting takes place in a less formal environment. No official voting takes place. The key sections or parts to the Conference Agenda are briefly described below.
- Old/New Business - These are policy discussion items, where the Commission gives guidance to City staff. Matters under this category may be scheduled at a future regular meeting for a vote.
- Conference Reports - These are status and informational reports for informational purposes that do not require Commission action.
- Advisory Boards/Committees - Nominations and/or appointments of advisory board or committee members.
- Commission Reports - Items of interest are presented by the Mayor and each Commissioner.
- City Manager Reports - These are the items of interest introduced and presented by the City Manager.
- Closed-Door Sessions - These sessions are held to discuss certain topics, such as litigation, contract negotiations, etc., and are not open to the public. These items are discussed solely among the City Commission, City Attorney, City Manager and any other required staff. Closed-Door Sessions are only listed on the Conference Agenda when necessary.
The Regular Agenda
The Regular Agenda applies to the Regular Meeting, held at 6:00 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of the month. This meeting is normally held in the 1st floor City Commission Chambers. This meeting is more formal and structured than the Conference Meeting. The items presented will have official action taken by means of the Commission voting to either approve or deny an item. The key sections that are contained in the Regular Agenda include:
- Presentations - Special recognition, awards, commendations, etc.
- Consent Agenda - These items are all enacted by one motion (vote) unless discussion is desired by any Commissioner or member of the public. If a Commissioner or member of the public does wish to speak on a consent item, then that item is removed or pulled from the Consent Agenda for discussion and voted on separately. Items that are not pulled from the Consent Agenda for separate handling are approved (voted on) as one item. This is unlike the rest of the agenda, which may contain Public Hearings, Ordinances, and Resolutions, all of which must be discussed and voted on individually. Items that make up the Consent Agenda include the following:
- Consent Motions - Agreements, amendments to agreements, change orders, task orders, acceptance of grant funds, contract renewals and settlements.
- Consent Resolutions - Items considered as a formal expression of opinion, will or intent.
- Purchases - Items and services being purchased; bid awards, etc.
- Public Hearings - Public discussion, which could also result in a resolution or ordinance.
- Neighbor Presentations - Neighbor Presentations will only occur on the first Regular City Commission Meeting of each month and will be a maximum of three (3) minutes. Regardless of the number of speakers affiliated with the presentation, the entire presentation will only be allotted three (3) minutes. Only one completed application per speaker will be accepted. Application deadline is 12:00 noon six days prior to the Commission Meeting in which the Neighbor Presentation is to be heard. A maximum of five (5) applications will be accepted for each City Commission Meeting. All other applications are taken in the order received and will be scheduled either for the date requested, or the next available Commission Meeting date. If more than five (5) applications are received for a City Commission Meeting, preference will be given to those who have NOT been heard at the prior City Commission Meeting. Please complete a Neighbor Presentation Application which may be submitted by email to NP@fortlauderdale.gov, or by hard copy to the City Clerk's Office, City Hall, 100 North Andrews Avenue, 7th floor, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301.
- Ordinances - A regulation enacted by the City Commission, which normally requires two separate readings and votes. Ordinances can either amend the City's Code of Ordinances or can include such items as plat approvals, annexations, rezonings, street vacations, etc.
- Resolutions - Agreements with other governmental agencies.
- Walk-on Items - Items that were not originally listed on the agenda but will be considered for vote by the City Commission. Walk-on items are presented on an emergency basis and do not occur on every agenda.
Other Commission Meeting Agendas (CRA, OPEB, and OTHER)
Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) Meeting
The Community Redevelopment Agency Meeting is normally held between 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. in the 8th floor Conference Room of City Hall. The items presented will have official action taken by the CRA Board of Directors voting to either approve or deny an item.
Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) Trust Meeting
The Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) Trust Meeting is normally held between 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. in the 8th floor Conference Room of City Hall. The items presented will have official action taken by the OPEB Board of Trustees voting to either approve or deny an item.
Other Commission Meetings
Other Commission Meetings can be held at different times of the day and in other locations other than City Hall. These meetings can be special meetings or workshops. The items presented will either be for informational purposes or for discussion (requiring no official action) or will require official action to be taken by the City Commission voting to either approve or deny the items.
Agenda Frequently Asked Questions
Who can schedule something on the agenda?
The City Manager sets the agenda.
The agenda and supporting backup material is normally published online the Thursday evening before the meeting and can be found on the City's website at Commission Meeting Agendas, Minutes and Video.
You may also come to City Hall on the Friday before the meeting to pick up a copy of the agenda. Agendas are available online.
How do I know when there is an agenda item scheduled that would interest me?
Agendas of City Commission meetings are posted on the City's website the Thursday evening before each regular and conference meeting. Additionally, support documentation for each item of business is available from the website. Agendas may also be obtained at City Hall, 100 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301.
How do I find out what an agenda item is all about?
Support documentation for each item of business is available from the City's website the Thursday evening before each conference and regular meeting. The documentation is available for review in the lobby of City Hall, 100 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301.