Public Affairs directs the City's communication efforts by increasing awareness of government services and activities. Information is regularly distributed to residents, businesses, the media, City officials and employees of the City of Fort Lauderdale. Public Affairs serves as an information resource center for the public and employees by developing and implementing public information strategies as well as coordinating internal communications.
Public Affairs is responsible for a variety of communications:
- Assisting the City's departments with public education initiatives and special events;
- Drafting, designing and distributing all print and electronic materials including brochures, pamphlets and fliers, to foster public information strategies of all City departments;
- Developing and distributing press releases about City activities, programs and news to the media;
- Responding to all media and neighbor inquiries regarding City programs, events, etc,;
- Developing and distributing the City's newsletter, Fort Lauderdale Currents, a monthly e-newsletter about City programs, services, events, activities and city issues;
- Developing and managing postings on the City's social media accounts;
- Managing content on FLTV, the City's on demand video library and cable-access channel;
- Creating content on the back of City of Fort Lauderdale utility bill statements and fliers inserted in the utility bills;
- Developing messages that are recorded on the City's phone system monthly to inform callers about City, events, services and programs;
- Developing, producing and placing advertising including broadcast and print advertisements in local and national publications and venues;
- Maintaining the Highway Advisory Radio System, or HARS, to provide residents and visitors with public service announcements and up-to-date information about traffic, weather, parking, special events and more. The City's HARS station broadcasts 24 hours a days on radio frequency 1610 AM.