The Public Works Water and Wastewater Operations Section consists of the Distribution and Collection Division responsible for the operation, maintenance, repair, and improvement of the water distribution, wastewater collection, and pumping system. The Treatment Division provides our neighbors with safe and efficient water treatment, water production, and wastewater treatment and disposal. Additionally, the Division’s Environmental Laboratory, accredited through the National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Certification, provides sampling and testing services to the City and its large users 365 days a year.
- Water is the most common substance found on Earth.
- The Earth's surface is 71% water.
- Only 3% of the water on Earth is freshwater. Of that 3%, only 1% is available as drinking water. The other 2% is frozen in the polar ice caps.
- Americans use approximately 183 gallons of water each day for cooking, washing, flushing, and other purposes.
- The human body consists of almost two-thirds water. Water makes up 70% of the brain.
- Humans need about 2.5 quarts of water a day for good health.
- City water costs approximately $1.81 per 1,000 gallons compared to $1.00 per gallon for store-bought bottled water.
Water Delivery System
The City of Fort Lauderdale Public Works Department is responsible for the delivery of clean, safe water to customers through:
- The Fiveash Regional Water Treatment Plant (designed for a maximum capacity of 70 million gallons of water per day)
- The Peele Dixie Water Treatment Plant (designed for a maximum capacity of 12 million gallons of water per day)
- 784 miles of water mains
- 5,979 fire hydrants
- 57,000 water meters
From its source to your tap, the City of Fort Lauderdale provides millions of gallons of water every day. From the cleaning and filtering processes to testing and monitoring in state-certified labs, you are guaranteed a clean, safe supply of water for everyday use.
For information on City of Fort Lauderdale Utility Service, please call the 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 954-828-8000.