Background: On August 18, 2015, the City Commission of the City of Fort Lauderdale created and adopted Ordinance C-15-29 (Article X) – Vacation Rentals, of Chapter 15 – Business Tax Receipts and Miscellaneous Business Regulations, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale, providing for regulation of vacation rentals as defined in Section 509.242, Florida Statutes (2015). The amended Vacation Rental Ordinance, Ordinance No. C-16-25 - Amended, went into effect on January 31, 2017.
On September 1, 2015, pursuant to Ordinance C-15-29, the City Commission adopted a fee schedule by Resolution 15-183 for the vacation rental registration program, as follows:
|Vacation Rental Fee Schedule|
|Vacation Rental New Registration Fee (per unit)||$750.00|
|Renewal Registration Fee (per unit)||$500.00|
|Safety Inspection, Re-Inspection and No-Show Inspection (per unit)||$75.00|
|Late Registration Payment Fee (per unit)||$75.00|
|Transfer Rental Agent Fee (per unit)||$35.00|
|Business Tax License Fee (per unit)||$157.50|
- Vacation Rental Registration Application and Affidavit
- Business Tax Application
- Business Tax and Vacation Rental Payment
- Resolution 15-183
- Ordinance C-15-29
- Ordinance No. C-16-25 - Amendment
VACATION RENTAL APPLICATION PROCESS
- Email completed Vacation Rental Registration Application and Affidavit, Business Tax Application, and all State and County licenses/certificates to email@example.com. All documents must be submitted electronically. Applications will not be accepted in-person or via regular mail.
- Once the City receives the completed documents, an email with a link to pay the Vacation Rental Registration Fee and Business Tax Application Fee will be sent to the applicant. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Once all fees are paid, an inspector will contact you to schedule an appointment.
- If the property passes all inspections, the Business Tax Receipt and Vacation Rental Certificate of Compliance are issued.
- If the property fails the property maintenance and/or life safety inspection, the property owner will receive a Notice of Failure. If the items identified in the Notice of Failure are not corrected within the time frame specified by the inspector, the application will be rejected and a case may be taken before the special magistrate.
Please submit your Vacation Rental Application and Affidavit, along with all required documentation specified in the checklist, and/or any inquiries regarding the Vacation Rental Program to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are only accepted electronically.
Please send all complaints regarding the suspected illegal operation of vacation rentals to email@example.com. Please include the property address and supporting photos and/or documentation to validate your complaint. A list of applicants that have registered and/or that have been issued a Certificate of Compliance can be viewed at Vacation Rental Registration Program Report - Applicants . A list of properties that have been reported and/or that have been discovered to be operating illegally can be viewed at Vacation Rental Properties Reported. The list of properties reported does include properties that were reported and/or discovered, but that are in the process of registering.
Sunbiz Worksheet (This is the sheet with the info for the registered agent, managing member and information regarding the filing status with the State of Florida)
City of Fort Lauderdale Code Compliance – Vacation Rental Program