“A1A In Action” is a project dedicated to enhancing a piece of Fort Lauderdale’s future by transforming a portion of this iconic roadway into a vibrant, resilient, multimodal destination.
Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Project Updates
Project Overview & Schedule
This work is part of an $11.8 million project that includes:
- Constructing a wide paver brick beachfront promenade on the east side of A1A;
- Installing a decorative sea wall with accent lighting;
- Constructing a raised median in front of Birch State Park; constructing median islands and left turn lanes in the residential section;
- Installing a new underground drainage system; relocating underground utilities;
- Restoring beach showers; installing decorative, turtle-friendly pedestrian lighting on both sides of A1A;
- Installing signalized pedestrian crosswalks at Birch State Park, N.E. 15th Court and N.E. 17th Street;
- Installing new asphalt pavement on all lanes and parking spaces; and
- Installing new pavement markings and highway signs.
When complete, there will be a wide sidewalk on both sides of A1A, one northbound and one southbound travel lane, one northbound and one southbound bike lane, a northbound left turn lane in the residential section, 232 on-street parking spaces, and 17 beach access points.
Construction began on July 28 and is expected to be completed by late 2015.
A1A Reconstruction Team
FDOT, Russell Engineering, Inc, Calvin, Giordano & Associates, Inc., and City of Fort Lauderdale.
For More Information
If you know someone that would like to receive project email updates, please send their address to Barbara.Kelleher@dot.state.fl.us with a subject line of "A1A Updates," and remind them to put this address on their "safe sender" list. Also, people can follow FDOT on Twitter @MyFDOT_SEFL.
Should you have questions about the project, please feel free to contact FDOT’s Public Information Office by phone at 954-777-4090 or email at FDOT_D4PIO@dot.state.fl.us. Follow us on Twitter @ MyFDOT_SEFL.
The A1A Reconstruction Team thanks our project neighbors for their patience and cooperation during this work. Should you have any questions or concerns about this work, please feel free to contact FDOT’s Public Information Office at 954-777-4090.
Public Information Director
FDOT District Four