Pollution Prevention and the Homeowner
Homeowners can play an integral role in preventing stormwater pollution. By simply changing a few everyday habits, the chances of contaminating the City’s waterways and the environment can be significantly reduced. Actions such as Florida-Friendly Landscaping, picking up pet waste, using fertilizers and pesticides properly, disposing of household hazardous waste and grease properly, are examples of simple best-management practices that will produce a healthier environment.
General Pollution Prevention Tips:
- State law prohibits dumping anything into the storm drain system or unauthorized obstructions or alterations of the drainage features. Residents should report illegal storm drain activities by calling the City of Fort Lauderdale 24-hour Customer Service Center at 954-828-8000.
- If there is a clogged storm drain or catch basin near your property, please remove the debris. You may also report clogged drains by calling 954-828-8000.
- Clean paint brushes in a sink, not outside.
- Use hazardous chemicals sparingly and follow the instructions on the label. Clean up spills immediately and properly dispose of hazardous waste.
- Purchase and use non-toxic, biodegradable, recycled and recyclable products when possible.
- Do not place bulk waste trash piles near or on top of a storm drain.
Report clogged storm drains or illegal dumping into the stormwater system!
Call the 24-Hour
Customer Service Center
or use our Online Form