Curbside Recycling Program
New Mix it. Curb it. Single-Stream Recycling Cart Program
The City of Fort Lauderdale has launched Mix it. Curb it., the new single-stream curbside program that makes recycling much easier for our neighbors. As part of Mix it. Curb it., the City provided residential recycling customers with new, blue, 65-gallon carts to hold all clean recyclables. Hoisting and lugging those heavy bins full of recyclables are a task of the past now that you can mix all clean recyclables together into one cart and roll it to the curb; it’s that simple.
Go to the Frequently Asked Questions page to to learn more about the new Mix It. Curb It. recycling program.
The Curbside Recycling Program provides recycling carts and weekly service for a variety of materials to all single-family homes, duplexes, and triplexes in the City of Fort Lauderdale.
What Items are Accepted?
Instead of placing items into two separate containers, the following recyclables can all be placed in the same container:
- Newspapers, inserts, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, office paper, soft-covered books, file folders, soda cartons and crushed boxes from items such as cereal, tissues, rice and pasta
- Plastic containers (narrow necks only) such as bottles, milk, water, detergent and shampoo containers
- Glass food and beverage containers, milk/juice cartons and drink boxes
- Aluminum and steel food and beverage containers
- Cardboard from non-food items, such as shipping boxes
What is Not Allowed in the Cart?
- No garbage or other non‐recyclable waste
- No batteries, electronic waste and accessories
- No Styrofoam
- No window or auto glass, incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs, mirrors, any other glass that is not a food or beverage container
- No plastic bags
- No home chemicals – paints, pesticides, and other household hazardous waste
- No medical waste and pharmaceuticals
- No non‐recyclables – coat hangars, microwave trays, plastic flower pots
- No wet newspapers.
Be ON TIME!
The contractor may pick up your recycling anytime between 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday on your collection day. Recycling carts need to be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on collection days, but no more than 24 hours in advance. Call our 24-Hour Customer Service at (954) 828-8000 if you have collection problems.
What's My Recycling Day?
You can look up your recycling day with the City's GIS Property Information Reporter.
Special Mix It. Curb It. Presentations for HOAs and Civic Organizations
The success of the Mix It. Curb It. program and its positive impact to our environment is greatly dependent upon how, and how much our neighbors recycle. Learn more about the new program and how it can increase the quantity and quality of recycling with a special presentation at one of your upcoming homeowner association or civic organization meetings. Call the Recycling Hotline at 954-828-7705 to schedule a presentation.