Fun Facts About Recycling
Facts About Recycling
- Americans make more than 200 million tons of garbage each year, enough to fill a stadium from top to bottom twice a day!
- Floridians produce about 9 lbs. of trash per day, twice the national average.
Facts About Paper
- It takes a 15-year-old tree to produce 700 grocery bags.
- It takes 17 trees to produce one ton of paper.
- The average American uses 580 lbs. of paper in one year.
- One tree can filter out 60 lbs. of air pollutants a year.
- Virgin paper mills discard over 75% of the tree to make paper; BUY RECYCLED PAPER, not virgin stock.
- Virgin paper mills are one of the planet’s greatest polluters of air and water.
- Early paper was made in Egypt out of papyrus.
- Beginning about 1690, paper was made in the U.S. from old rags. Paper production from wood did not begin until the late 1800s.
- Paper recycling began in the U.S. in the 1930s.