Precautionary advisory for public safety
As reported in today’s Sun-Sentinel, rainfall records were broken in Fort Lauderdale yesterday. The 4.78 inches measured in Fort Lauderdale broke the June 6 record of 1.96 inches set in 1926.
As a result, the City is issuing the following precautionary advisory and request:
1) Pedestrians are advised to avoid standing water and children should not play in standing water.
2) Due to heavy run-off from yards, streets and roadways, minimize physical contact with water in the inland waterways.
3) Voluntarily reduce water use at home and work to help prevent overflows of the sewer system during this major rain event.
4) Turn off automatic irrigation systems to help reduce street flooding and standing water.
5) Report any sewer overflows to 954-828-8000.
6) Avoid driving through flooded areas; find an alternate route.
Thank you for your assistance. For updates, visit www.fortlauderdale.gov or call our 24-Hour Neighbor Call Center at 954-828-8000.