1300 West Broward Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Telephone: 954-828-5622 - Facsimile: 954-828-5744
Public Safety is important to the health, safety and welfare of our community. Due to the breadth of issues encountered by law enforcement on a daily basis, our office has an Assistant City Attorney acting as a legal advisor to the police department. Some of the responsibilities of the Assistant City Attorney advising the police include:
- Providing legal advice to police personnel concerning state and federal statutes and municipal ordinances.
- Serves as legal counsel to the Police Chief concerning department policies and legal issues.
- Acts as a liaison with the Office of the State Attorney and other local and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Monitors, reviews and aids in drafting legislation as it relates to law enforcement issues.
- Litigates actions under the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.
- Represents the Police Department in all police-related public records and replevin actions.
- Provides legal research at the request of the City Attorney for City Commission on matters related to law enforcement.
- Reviews contracts related to police operations.
- Drafts and reviews interagency and mutual aid agreements between local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
The City Attorney’s Office is not authorized to provide legal advice to the general public. Please see our community legal resources page for suggested sites of entities that may be able to assist with your legal needs.