"Lobbying" or "Lobbying Activities" shall be defined as in the Broward County Code of Ordinances, Section 1-19, Code of Ethics for Elected Officials.
"Lobbyist" shall be defined as in the Broward County Code of Ordinances, Section 1-19, Code of Ethics for Elected Officials.
- Online Lobbyist Registration
- Instructions for Online Lobbyist Registration Process
- Login/Setup for Lobbyist Meeting (Contact) Log
- Instructions for Lobbyists to Login/Setup the Meeting (Contact) Log/Ethics Trac System
- City of Fort Lauderdale Resolution No. 07-101
- City of Fort Lauderdale Ordinance No. C-00-27
- City of Fort Lauderdale Ordinance No. C-11-42
- Broward County Code of Ordinances, Section 1-19. - Code of Ethics for Elected Officials
Copies of the resolution and ordinances may also be obtained in person from the City Clerk's Office, 7th Floor of City Hall, 100 N. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 or by calling Wendy Gonyea at 954-828-6313.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is required to register as a lobbyist?
Any individual or organization must register with the City Clerk’s Office when that individual or organization is compensated to directly or indirectly lobby City Commissioners, City Board or Committee members, the City Manager or City employees.
When are lobbyists required to register with the City?
Lobbyists must register with the City Clerk’s Office prior to conducting any lobbying activities and the initial registration process began on August 1, 2000. All individuals who conduct lobbying activities and are not currently registered are in violation of the ordinance.
Is there a registration fee?
Effective October 1, 2007, each lobbyist who wishes to conduct lobbyist activities with the City of Fort Lauderdale is required to pay an annual registration fee of $75. This fee is due beginning on October 1 of each year and must be paid by November 1 of each year.
Effective October 1, 2007, a Lobbyist must register each Principal with City and pay an initial one-time fee of $150. There is no fee for renewing an already registered Principal. For all new registrations submitted to the City of Fort Lauderdale after October 1, 2007, the fee of $150 is due and payable at the time the lobbyist registers a new principal. This fee is waived for registered not-for-profit entities.
What are the registration procedures?
1) Lobbyist Registration - Lobbyist Registrations may now be entered ONLINE Online Lobby Registration Form. Once entered, lobbyists will be directed to the payment portal where credit cards and e-checks are accepted. Lobbyist registration forms may also be downloaded Lobbyist Registration Form , obtained in person Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the City Clerk’s Office, 7th Floor of City Hall or obtained by calling Wendy Gonyea at 954-828-6313. Completed registration forms and check payments may be returned in person or by mail to: Wendy Gonyea, City Clerk's Office, 100 N. Andrews Avenue, 7th Floor, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301.
What information will the lobbyists be asked to provide?
Lobbyists will be asked to provide information relating to the following areas:
- Name, address, and nature of lobbyist’s business;
- Name, address, and occupation or profession of each individual or organization on whose behalf lobbying will be performed;
- Subject matters that lobbyist will seek to influence;
- Business association with any current elected official or City employee;
- Written authorization on letterhead from each individual or organization on whose behalf lobbying will be performed.
2) Lobbyist Meeting (Contact) Log - As of April 1, 2016, the Meeting (Contact) Log has been expanded to allow Lobbyists to enter contacts and meetings electronically from any device. Lobbyist Registrations must be activated prior to entering contacts.
To promote full and complete transparency, lobbyists who lobby an Elected Official must, contemporaneously with the lobbying activity or as soon thereafter as is practicable (but in any event within three (3) business days after the lobbying activity occurs), legibly complete a contact log which contains the following information:
- Lobbyist's name;
- The name of the entity by which the lobbyist is employed;
- The name of the person or entity for whom or which the lobbyist is lobbying;
- The name of each Elected Official lobbied by the lobbyist;
- The name of each person attending or participating in any portion of the meeting or communication during which the lobbying activity occurred;
- The date and time of the meeting or other communication during which the lobbying activity occurred;
- The location of the meeting and mode of communication, as applicable;
- The specific purpose and subject matter discussed in such meeting or communication.
The obligation to complete the contact log above applies regardless of the location of the lobbying activity and applies whether the activity occurs in person, by telephone, by electronic communication, by video conferencing, or in writing.
Use Ethics Trac to setup a login for the online Meeting (Contact) log. To access the meeting log, please visit Lobbyist Meeting (Contact) Log. You will still be able to log entries in person on the computer located in the 8th Floor Lobby of City Hall, 100 N Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. The lobbyist, principal, or employer information must be entered together with the name of each elected official with whom the lobbyist is meeting.
What forms are required for the Annual Lobbyist Renewal process?
Effective October 1, 2007 and beginning every subsequent October 1, lobbyists are required to renew their registration. All Lobbyist Renewals require the following:
Completion of ONLINE Lobbyist Registration Renewal and online payment for the Annual Lobbyist Registration Fee in the amount of $75.00 by credit card or e-check, or completion of the Lobbyist Registration Annual Renewal Application and check for the Annual Lobbyist Registration Fee in the amount of $75.00 (made payable to the City of Fort Lauderdale). Lobbyists must provide a list of all active Principals for the new fiscal year. The Annual Lobbyist Renewal, the Annual Lobbyist Registration Fee, and the list of all active Principals are due in the City Clerk's Office each subsequent year on or before November 1. Any Lobbyist (and registered Principals) that are not renewed by November 1 will be removed from the lobbyist registration list for the new fiscal year. If removed, any Lobbyist wishing to register after November 1 will need to register as a new Lobbyist and pay the annual $75.00 fee and will need to register the Principal as new and pay the $150.00 registration fee.
What is the Statement of Representation?
Individuals must state that they are lobbyists and disclose whom they are working for at the beginning of any communication with the City.
What are the City’s lobbying restrictions for former City Commissioners, Board Members and City Employees?
Pursuant to Section 2-264 of the City of Fort Lauderdale Code of Ordinances, former City Commissioners, Board Members and City employees in certain Management Categories are restricted from conducting lobbying activities for a period of one (1) year after leaving their position. (Note: Florida Statute §112.313(14) prohibits former City Commissioners from lobbying City elected officials for two years.)
For more information about the City of Fort Lauderdale Lobbyist Registration, please contact:
City of Fort Lauderdale
Office of the City Clerk
100 N. Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301