DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, JANUARY 17, 2020!
Actively engaged youth are important to a thriving City. To better engage Fort Lauderdale’s emerging youth leaders, Class 6 of the Fort Lauderdale's Neighbor Leadership Academy, in partnership with the City’s Education Office, is hosting Fort Lauderdale GovChat on Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at Fort Lauderdale City Hall from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
For more information, please contact Keith Farrell at (954) 828-6653 or email KFarrell@fortlauderdale.gov.
GovChat is a half-day forum designed to educate civically-minded students about municipal government and create a space for teens to speak up about pertinent issues.
During this event, students will have an opportunity to participate in one-on-one conversations with elected officials, city staff, and community leaders. At the end of the evening, students will receive community service hours, a Certificate of Completion, and will be officially recognized by the Fort Lauderdale City Commission. Check out the participation requirements below.
To be considered for GovChat you must :
- Be between 15 and 18 years old.
- Be a current resident of the City of Fort Lauderdale and/or attend a local high school.
- Be willing to commit to a one-night program from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, January 29.
- Be willing to participate in a brief, follow-up assignment about what you learned in the program.
- Submit the proper parent(s) / guardian(s) approval form.
- Be willing to be photographed for City promotional materials.
Activities for GovChat include:
- Introduction to Local Government
- Meet and Greet with City Elected Officials
- Breakout Sessions on Youth Policy Issues
The City is currently accepting applications through Friday, January 17, 2020 at 5 p.m.