Greater Fort Lauderdale is a diverse and welcoming community with one of the highest concentrations of same-sex households in the nation and hundreds of LGBTQ-owned businesses.
LGBTQ City Liaison
With this honor the City of Fort Lauderdale heeds the call to all inclusivity ideas that unites us as a community. One such idea that brings us together is the appointment of an LGBTQ City Liaison.
The LGBTQ City liaison serves as an accessible and friendly ear to the City’s LGBTQ+ community and elevates LGBTQ-related concerns to the City executive and other City officials.
One of Fort Lauderdale's top priorities is to be an inclusive and diverse city, and having appointed LGBTQ liaisons is ways we embrace that mission.
LGBTQ Liaison Appointee:
Hal Barnes, Neighbor Support Manager & City Manager’s LGBTQ Liaison
Phone: (954) 828-5065
Fort Lauderdale Earns Perfect Score in 2019 LGBTQ Municipal Equality Index
The City of Fort Lauderdale received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation's 2019 Municipal Equality Index (MEI), which assesses LGBTQ+ inclusion in municipal laws, policies, and services nationwide. The City is proud to join 87 other cities across the U.S. that earned perfect scores, including five others in Florida – Miami Beach, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Tampa, and Wilton Manors.
City Initiatives that Contributed to Perfect 2019 MEI Score
- Adopting Ordinance C-19-30, creating Chapter 29, “Human Relations,” of the City’s Code of Ordinance.
- Adopting Ordinance C-18-33, amending Section 2-187, “Non-discrimination by City contractors,” of the City’s Code of Ordinance.
- Developing an anti-bullying policy and reporting procedure to protect the dignity of youth served by the City’s Parks & Recreation Department.
- Offering domestic partner benefits including coverage for gender transition and gender reassignment surgery.
- Expanding the LGBTQ+ liaison unit in the Police Department from one to eight sworn and non-sworn personnel.
- Appointing City LGBTQ+ community and police liaisons.
- Reporting hate crime statistics to the Federal Bureau of Investigation annually.
- Offering LGBTQ+ Gender Diversity Training workshops for City employees in partnership with SunServe and the Community Foundation of Broward.
- Partnering with Broward County Public Schools to assist with LGBTQ+ student events, such as anti-bullying seminars, lunch and learn events, the annual LGBTQ+ Student Summit, etc.
- Partnering with local LGBTQ+ organizations on special events including the annual SunServe LGBTQ+ Youth Prom.
- Partnering with TransSOCIAL, Inc. to train local police LGBTQ+ liaison officers to teach the U.S. Department of Justice course, “Engaging and Building Relationships with Transgender Communities” to law enforcement officers in their respective agencies.
- Proclaiming June 2019 as LGBTQ+ Pride Month.