Customer Service and Office Hours
The Business Tax Office is located at:
100 North Andrews Avenue, 1st Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
You can use our secure Business Tax Search and Online Payments system to pay any fees associated with your Business Tax. Please note, our online service has changed. This document will give you information on how to use the new payment system: Online Payment
Visit our Vacation Rental page for more information about the vacation rental ordinance, resolution, registration progress and to download required application forms. Please note; the Business Tax Office does not process Vacation Rental applications. Please use the link above to submit your application.
Overview and Payment Information
1. What is a Business Tax?
The Business Tax is a tax for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business, profession or occupation within the city limits. You will need to pay a business tax to operate any business based in the City of Fort Lauderdale. A business tax is required, pursuant to local and state laws, to operate a business from a commercial or residential location. A business tax receipt is valid from October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Courtesy reminders are mailed, prior to expiration, to remit payment for renewal. A tax receipt is mailed once payment is received. The tax receipt must be posted in a conspicuous place and visible to the public and upon inspection.
2. Who needs to pay a Business Tax?
A business needs to pay a business tax prior to operating any business from a commercial or residential location. Please read the Business Tax Ordinance or contact the Business Tax Office for more details.
3. Where can I obtain Business Tax forms?
Forms are not accepted in paper format any longer. Use the links below to submit an application. If additional information is required, we will contact you at the email address provided. For detailed instructions on how to complete the forms, please see this document: Application
- Business Tax Application Checklist and Information
- Business Tax Application
- Application for State-Licensed Professionals
- Apartment/Motel/Hotel/Lodging/Social Service Facility Application
- Medical Office/Doctor's Office/Pain Clinic Application
- Restaurant Application
- Bar/Nightclub/Lounge Application
- Retail/Wholesale Application
- Application for Business Tax Exemption
- Home-Based Business Affidavit
- Solicitor Application
4. If I have a home-based business, do I need to pay the Business Tax?
Yes. The City issues restricted business tax receipts out of the home. To operate a home-based business, a completed Home Office Business Tax Application is required. Please include a copy of your Florida driver's license or state-issued identification with your application. A Business Tax Receipt will be issued if the business meets the City requirements.
5. Do I need a permit for street vending?
Yes. It is unlawful to sell, or offer for sale, any food, beverage, service or merchandise on any street, alley, sidewalk, or public park within the City of Fort Lauderdale from any wagon, truck, auto, pushcart, vehicle or by any other means upon the streets, sidewalks, or alleys of the City until the proper permit has been issued by the Business Tax Office.
Street Vendor Forms
6. Do I need a Business Tax to solicit from door to door?
Yes. A Business Tax Receipt must be obtained before engaging in any solicitation. Additionally, you must agree to abide by Sections 23 and 8-73 of the City Code of Ordinances. The Solicitors Application must be filled out and the first page signed and returned. The additional pages are the Ordinance.
7. Do I need to pay a City Business Tax if I pay a Broward County Local Business Tax?
Yes. Businesses located within the City limits will need to pay for a City of Fort Lauderdale Business Tax Receipt prior to obtaining a Broward County Local Business Tax Receipt.
8. How can I pay the fees for my Business Tax?
Fees can be paid online with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, by mail, or in our office.
To pay online, first find your business tax ID # using the search function. If there are any outstanding fees, a secure online payment option will be offered. Only payments in full can be accepted via the web site.
9. If I change my business address or sell my business, what do I need to do?
If any of the following events occur, resubmit an updated Business Tax Application:
- The name of the business changed.
- The business address changed.
- The business owner's address changed.
- The owner of the business changed.
- The business is sold.
If you have questions, please e-mail BusinessTax@fortlauderdale.gov.
10. Can you provide me with some information about Sidewalk Cafés?
11. Do you have information on the outdoor sales of Holiday Related Merchandise?
12. Do you have information on the new Plastic Straw ban?
13. Do you have a list of new businesses in the City of Fort Lauderdale?
Yes, the files linked below can be downloaded to your computer:
- New Businesses - October 2019 Part I
- New Businesses - October 2019 Part II
- New Businesses - September 2019
- New Businesses - August 2019
- New Businesses - July 2019
- New Businesses - June 2019
- New Businesses - May 2019
- New Businesses - April 2019
- New Businesses - March 2019
- New Businesses - February 2019
- New Businesses - January 2019
- New Businesses - All of 2018
- New Businesses - All of 2017
- New Businesses - All of 2016
- New Businesses - All of 2015
- New Businesses - All of 2014
- New Businesses - All of 2013
- New Businesses - All of 2012
- New Businesses - All of 2011
- New Businesses - All of 2010
- New Businesses - All of 2009
- New Businesses - All of 2008
- New Businesses - All of 2007
- New Businesses - All of 2006
14. How do I register a complaint about a company?
To register a complaint about a company or to receive more information about a company prior to doing business with them, there are several places you can contact:
- Broward County Consumer Affairs Division, 115 S Andrews Ave - 954-765-5355
- Broward County Occupational License - 954-765-4697
- Division of Alcohol Beverages and Tobacco - 954-917-1330
- Division of Hotels & Restaurants - 850-487-1395
- Broward County Contractor's Board, 955 S Federal Highway - 954-765-5108
- Better Business Bureau - 561-842-1918
- Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services - 800-435-7352
- Florida Department of Insurance - 800-435-7352
- Florida Comptroller's Office - 800-298-0485
- Lemon Law Program - 800-321-5366
- Department of Highway Safety Motor Vehicles - 850-488-2276
- Florida Public Service Commission (utilities) - 800-342-3553