The Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue (FLFR) Training & Special Operations Bureau is responsible for the initial and ongoing training for our over 476 personnel. The Bureau is tasked with the production, administration, and tracking of the various training required for each discipline (EMS, Fire Suppression, Hazardous Materials, Technical Rescue, Dive Rescue and Marine Firefighting, etc.). The Bureau’s mission is to provide and support a solid backbone of hands-on training, reinforced through several methods of media, including lectures and online-based learning.
The Training and Special Operations Bureau is responsible for the comprehensive 8-week orientation program for each new hire and the practical testing of their firefighting skills throughout their first year on the job. Newly hired firefighters must complete an extensive drill sign-off program once assigned to shift. New hires are evaluated at 5 and 11 months for proficiency in firefighting and EMS skills. The Bureau works hand-in-hand with the Human Resources Department on promotional testing for the rank of Driver Engineer, Lieutenant, Captain and Battalion Chief.
The Training Bureau is located in a state-of-the-art facility located at 2200 Executive Airport Way. Opened in June 2008, the training facility is combined with the City's Emergency Operations Center and Fire Station 53.
The Training Bureau consistently seeks to enhance its ability to provide training and maintain records through several initiatives such as:
- Implementation of a paperless record management system
- Documentation of all training through the FireRMS System
- A comprehensive acquired structure training program
- Implementation and management of a Learning Management System (LMS) for online training
- Involvement in the Health & Safety and the Research & Development Committees
Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue personnel provides the following CPR classes to the public:
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED (including blended learning training)
- BLS (Basic Life Support) Provider (including HeartCode BLS)
Please call the Training & Special Operations Bureau for more information and prices. (954) 828-3623.
| Stewart Ahearn