A Hurricane Watch is issued when there is a threat of hurricane conditions within 48 hours.
- Monitor local media for hurricane progress reports.
- Secure windows and doors with shutters or shielding materials (visit www.flash.org for more information).
- Review your evacuation plan. Make sure your route is accessible as some roads may be closed or blocked.
- Fuel and service your vehicle.
- Bring in unsecured items, such as outdoor furniture, plants, trash cans, recycling bins, bicycles and toys.
- Store tap water to use for flushing toilets and cleaning.
- Store important documents in waterproof containers.
- Check emergency supplies and stock up on any necessary items, including prescription medications and items for those with special needs.
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest settings. Open only if absolutely necessary and close quickly.
- Unplug small appliances.
- Get extra cash (ATMs might be down).
- Secure boats.
- Do not put bulk trash or yard waste out during a Hurricane Watch or Hurricane Warning.