Get the latest coronavirus updates and information on community resources and business assistance.

Helpful Water Meter Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Who Do I Call?

High Consumption:

For questions regarding your water bills and high consumption you should call our Utility Billing & Collections Division at 954-828-5150 during regular business hours (7:30 am to 5:00 pm). After hours you can call our 24 hour Customer Service Call Center at 954-828-8000.

What to expect following your call:

  • A Utilities Operations worker will come to your address to investigate the water meter;

  • The worker will examine the meter for defects;

  • We will take a meter reading and compare that to the previous reading;

  • We will check the meter dial to see if there is any water movement through the meter and estimate the flow if any.

  • If the homeowner is present, the findings will be presented to them at that time;

  • We will discuss your water use habits and irrigation;

  • If we suspect a leak may be present, we will advise you to seek service from a professional plumber* and a licensed irrigation specialist.

* You may be eligible for adjustments for leaks found and repaired by licensed plumbers – save your receipts!

Meter Testing

If you would like to have the accuracy of your water meter tested, please call the Utility Billing Division at 954-828-5150 for details. The cost for the meter test $16.00 and you will be asked if you wish to witness the test.

 What to expect following your call:

  • The City will send a crew to your address to remove the meter for testing;
  • A new meter will be put in place of the old meter to be tested;
  • Your water service will only be interrupted during the meter change for about 15 minutes;
  • The City will call to schedule the test if you wish to be present;
  • If the meter registers within +/- 2% accuracy it will be considered accurate and you will be charged for the test.
  • If the meter over registers (runs fast), you will not be charged for the test and your account will be adjusted with a credit.
  • If the meter under registers, you will be charged for the test and your last bill will be corrected accordingly.

Pool Credit:

Did you know you can receive a credit for filling your pool?

You may be eligible to receive a credit for the sewer portion of your bill. Please call Utility Billing at (954) 828-5150 for the proper form. All charges must be paid in order to receive a sewer credit.

What to expect after submitting your form:

  • Allow 2-3 billing cycles for the credit to be issued.

How can I get a separate irrigation meter at my property?

A separate irrigation meter can save you money in the long run. Talk with your Irrigation Specialist to determine how much water you use for irrigation to determine what size service line you will need. Then call the City’s Permitting Department at the Department of Sustainable Development located at (954) 828-6520 to learn about the permitting process and fees

What to expect after your call:

  • You will need to visit the Permitting Department at the Department of Sustainable Development located at 700 NW 19th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311.

  • Get a permit for an irrigation tap for the service size you need.

  • Next, bring the permit to our Utility Billing office at 100 N. Andrews Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 and pay for the tapping charges.

  • These charges differ depending on the size of your requested service line.

  • Allow 4 weeks for the installation of the new irrigation meter to be completed.

  • Keep in mind that your existing irrigation system will need to be connected to your new irrigation meter by your plumber or irrigation specialist.

Can you send someone to check for leaks at my property or in my home?

 No. The city does not check the homeowner's private property for leaks. The city's property stops at the meter. Any pipework connecting to the meter and going forth to the home is the responsibility of the homeowner.

Click here for a printable flyer