Get the latest coronavirus updates and information on community resources and business assistance.

Report Code Concerns

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How to Report a Community Enhancement Concern

Code Officers are available seven days a week to ensure that our city remains a beautiful and safe place to live.  When contacting us please be ready to provide information regarding the location and nature of the violation. The officer assigned to the area will conduct an inspection of the property and if it is determined that a violation exists, will enforce accordingly.

Neighbors are welcomed to report concerns to the Community Enhancement and Compliance Division by:

  • Calling the Community Enhancement and Compliance customer service line at 954-828-5207 (Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  If calling after hours, please dial 954-828-8000.)
  • Visiting us at 700 NW 19th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale FL 33311 (Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm)
  • Mailing or bringing the Community Enhancement and Compliance Complaint Form to the Community Enhancement and Compliance Division at 700 NW 19th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311.

Concerns may also be reported via email to, but please note that Florida state law considers emails to and from public employees public records subject to public records requests. 

To report noise related concerns after business hours please contact the Fort Lauderdale Police Department's non-emergency line at 954-764-HELP (4357)

After a potential violation is reported, see how the code compliance inspection process works:

Top-Ten Code Violations

Yard Maintenance Standards
Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property. On a corner lot, no fences, walls, hedges or planting shall be erected or maintained to a height exceeding thirty (30) inches above the crown of the roadway within twenty-five (25) feet of the intersection of the front and side street property lines. Vegetation and trees must be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct the travel of motorists.


Inoperative Motor Vehicles
Inoperative motor vehicles cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit. An inoperative vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power (whether or not designed for use on the public streets).


Junk, Trash and Debris
Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk, auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc; and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.

Bulk Trash
Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles in residential lots only on a legal driveway or in a garage. A driveway or parking area must be constructed with approved parking surfaces. There are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a driveway or parking. Check with the Urban Design and Planning Division at (954) 828-6520 (option 3) for more information about legally recognized parking areas.

Commercial Equipment
Generally, commercial equipment and commercial vehicles may not be parked or stored in a residential area unless they are within a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit.


Maintenance of Commercial Structures
All exterior building structures and walls shall be maintained in a secure and attractive manner. All defective structural and decorative elements of such building facade(s) shall be repaired or replaced in a workmanlike manner, to match as closely as possible the original materials and construction of the building.

Commercial Maintenance

Condition of Structures
The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. Any wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows and screens, and other exterior parts of a structure must be maintained in weather tight, rodent proof, sound condition and good repair. The property owner is responsible for maintaining secure windows, doors or other openings that cannot be readily opened from the outside. An owner may need to board up a vacant structure if illegal access and criminal activities exist.


Outdoor Storage
Outdoor storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials outside.


Illegal Dwelling Units
Dwelling units that have been added to the interior or the exterior of a structure without proper permits are illegal, regardless of how long the units have existed. The City will require closure of such illegal units.

Prohibited Business
Most businesses are not allowed to operate in a residential area as they disrupt residents and the community. This means that car and boat repairs, construction of cabinets and furniture, and other activities that are not normally carried on in a residential district are prohibited.

Did You Know?

  • The most common violations are the illegal parking of inoperable vehicles and failure to clean up trash, rubbish and debris.
  • Any structural repairs, new fences, most plumbing and electrical work, driveway installations, and even removal of certain trees can require a permit from the City. Please call (954) 828-5207 (option 1) for more information.
  • The City can eliminate unsafe buildings or structures through demolition under the Florida Building Code.
  • The City can board up vacant buildings that are open at the doors and windows after the required legal notification is made to the owner.
  • The City can clean and clear vacant lots after the required legal notification is made to the owner. 
  • The City performs routine fire inspections.

You can search for code violations and track code cases online with our City of Fort Lauderdale GIS Property Reporter.