Over 500,000 small businesses open monthly in the United States, accounting for 65% of all U.S. employment growth. In Broward County, 81% of all businesses have less than ten employees; 67% have less than five.
50% of small businesses in the US close within five years!
The City of Fort Lauderdale, Economic and Community Investment Division (ECI) created BEAMs to support businesses at all life cycles, from start-up to successful growth and expansion. Learn how to transform your idea into a lucrative business.
Face-to-face site visits with established City businesses in order to introduce ECI as the primary point of contact for all of their business development needs and concerns.
- BEAMs Business Academy: FREE - The Business Academy, invests in our local businesses by providing the knowledge and resources they need to be successful. BEAMs received the 2018 International Economic Development Council Excellence in Economic Development Gold Award as the best Business Retention and Expansion program in the U.S.
- BEAMs Summary: Watch our informative video
- BEAMs Business Academy 2020 Course Schedule
- Solid Foundation – New/start-up businesses platform: Creating a Business Plan, Developing a Budget and Financial Plan, Effective Employee Selection, Customer Service
- Build On Success – Established businesses growth/expansion: Strategic Outlook, Advanced Sales/Marketing, Relating to the Customer, Financial Management/Capital Expansion
- Global Commerce – Information and support to reach the international market: Logistics (shipping & handling, Distribution Channels, Insurance/Legal Documentation, Product Pricing/Market Research & Development, Cultural Awareness, Regional/Federal Resources
- BEAMs Business Academy Application Form: APPLY HERE
- The best local, regional, state, and federal business experts at your service!
- Workforce Development/Training Assistance: Through partner agencies such as CareerSource and Atlantic, McFatter & Sheridan Technical Colleges
- Resources: Connect your businesses to the local, regional, state, and federal experts who have training and capital programs to assist with your business development needs.
- Citywide Financial Incentives: Qualified Target Industry, Direct Cash
- Community Redevelopment Agency Incentives: Commercial Facade Improvement, Property and Business Improvement, Streetscape Enhancement, Development Incentive, Property Tax Reimbursement, Residential Rehabilitation Forgivable Loan, Purchase Assistance
ECI will introduce you to the most experienced business development professionals in the region to establish one-on-one mentoring relationships and business evaluation analyses.
International Market Expansion
The political leadership and administration of the City of Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, and our regional economic engines are aggressively establishing the City/County as a global business destination. Jointly, we are hosting international business delegations and conducting international trade missions with the objective of opening the world markets to our businesses and helping them to become a part of the global import/export community.
BEAMs Collaborative Partners
BEAMs Business Academy Application