What is the goal of this project?
This streetscape project along Breakers Avenue between Riomar Street and Vistamar Street is a 2019 Commission Annual Action Plan (CAAP) initiative. The goal of this project is to create an iconic corridor that not only provides mobility but is also a safe, accessible, attractive, climate-resilient public space serving neighbors and visitors in Fort Lauderdale beach.
What are the proposed improvements?
The project is a partnership between the Transportation and Mobility Department and the Public Works Department. Proposed improvements include streetscape elements such as pedestrian lighting, trees, landscape, shared used street design, and underground water and sewer utility upgrades.
What progress has been made?
As of August 14, 2019:
- The City allocated $2.9 million toward the Breakers Avenue Streetscape Improvements in fall 2018. An additional $2.1 million for water, sewer, and storm water infrastructure upgrade is proposed in the FY 2020 budget
- The City's consultant team developed the corridor concept design though public outreach in July 2019.
- The project's engineering design is expected to begin October 2019.
What are the next steps?
- The City is expected to procure the services of the Construction Manager in September.
- Engineering Design is expected to be completed in summer 2020.
When does construction begin?
Construction is expected to begin in fall 2020.
Meeting with Adjacent Owners - March 20, 2019
Open House #1 - March 20, 2019
Meeting with Adjacent Owners - April 19, 2019
Open House #2 - May 8, 2019
Meeting with Adjacent Owners - May 30, 2019
Public Survey - April 27 to May 11, 2019